Monday, June 3, 2013

The Euro-diaries: Prologue

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. 
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
-- Robert Frost

I first read this poem in eighth grade, when it was included in the book we read called The Outsiders, and for some reason I've had it memorized ever since. It's slightly depressing but also kind of optimistic. Basically it's saying yeah, it kinda sucks when flowers turn to leaves and the sun gets all the way up there. But aren't leaves and sunshine wonderful in their own way? Nothing gold can stay, but that doesn't mean different gold things won't follow it. Just some food for thought.

Now to the REAL point of this post. I'M GOING TO EUROPE IN 3(ish) DAYS. Holy mother that's so soon. I'm for sure gonna write about it. And take pictures. Gyahhh it's not real in my mind. I haven't thought a bit about packing yet. I don't know the first thing about what to bring on these kinds of expeditions.

So the first month isn't gonna be too eventful. Just some landscaping in Sweden for an old friend of my mother. But then I'm visiting Finland and Germany and hopefully France, and it's all gonna be fan-freaking-tastic. I'll maybe keep an update on here of all my exciting doings. I'll call it "The Euro-diaries." It'll be a great read, I promise. Or at least I hope. Yeah. AH.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little bit sad about leaving right now. A bunch of new people moved into my apartment complex for the summer, and it's just a great group. I've already made some cool friends, and I'm sad I won't be able to get to know them very well. I'll get back and there'll be like 3 weeks left to the summer and everyone will already be best friends with each other. Sad day. Oh well. I'd rather do this than stay home, hands down.

So I guess what I'm really trying to say is, goodbye and STAY TUNED! Exciting things are happening. I can't wait to experience new cultures and learn new languages and eat real chocolate (sorry Hershey's) and meet awesome people!

Wish me luck :)


No comments:

Post a Comment